Saturday, February 23, 2019

Power Trouble

The motorhome uses a typical 30A power cord. Sometimes that's not quite enough power. Recently we discovered it's just barely enough and apparently more often than we realized. Last night the microwave flickered and stuttered. No circuits tripped so I check the power post. There was arcing at the connection between the cord and outlet. So we used power austerely overnight. Then today I dug into the problem. The plug had clearly overheated.

The receptacle had cooked as well.

The back side connections looked even worse. Notice how the plastic dripped.

I replaced both the receptacle in the power post and the cord plug. To my chagrin, however, the recessed panel wouldn't let the plug seat all the way.

No wonder! Without full contact between the connections the problem's bound to happen again.

So I used a 50A adapter as well.

We've been considering an upgrade to 50A service for some time anyway. That's a substantial mod, but I now see it mod in the motorhome's future sooner than later.